DSpace Repository

Die ontwerp en evaluering van 'n lusernskeidingsapparaat vir Suid-Afrikaanse behoeftes

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author de Beer, Pieter Willem
dc.contributor.other Bloemfontein: Central University of Technology, Free State
dc.date.accessioned 2017-06-02T13:01:14Z
dc.date.available 2017-06-02T13:01:14Z
dc.date.issued 2002
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/11462/1112
dc.description Thesis en_US
dc.description.abstract In certain market situations the llJ9rkeLv_al_ue of dehydrated lu_cern can be increased dramatically by separati~g the different levels of protein by applying a pneumatic separation process. The pneumatic separation method was developed by the Department of Agriculture in the USA. In a situation where high and low level protein is needed for animal food, air separation is not always the most effective method. The separation of leaves and stems will generate a higher-quality product because the protein content will be highter and will thus increase the gross income for the farmer. The market requirements for separated lucerne requires 70% leaf content (which represents the high protein component) at cut lengths of 60 mm, 120 mm and 150 mm. The remaining sems (30%) will have a low protein conent. A lucerne separation apparatus was developed for this study as a prototype in order to determine the concept and principles of the process before the apparatus could be commercialised. In every test, ten samples of 10 g each were collected from three different outlets for laboratory testing. The specimens were counted microscopically to determine the separation percentage between the high and low level proteins. The process was then repeated in order to compile tables for determining the optimum separation level of lucerne at a specific outl.et and speed. The tests showed that the separation percentage of lucerne with a flower stage of 20 %, continuously performed better than the group with a flower stage of 100 %. The best results for the separation were at the first two outlets at a speed of 350 revolutions per minute (rpm). According to the laboratory analysis by the ARC, the protein levels of the high potein component varied from 22,3 % to 26,23 %, which is fully acceptable to the market, where the need is only some 20 %. The prototype was built with the vision that a South African design can also be successfully utilised to increase the value of lucerne. en_US
dc.format.mimetype Application/PDF
dc.language.iso other en_US
dc.publisher Bloemfontein: Central University of Technology, Free State
dc.subject Agricultural equipment en_US
dc.subject Alfalfa - Nutrition en_US
dc.subject Alfalfa - Separation en_US
dc.title Die ontwerp en evaluering van 'n lusernskeidingsapparaat vir Suid-Afrikaanse behoeftes en_US
dc.type Thesis en_US
dc.rights.holder Central University of Technology, Free State

Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Search DSpace


My Account